Friday, December 10, 2010

New painting


Today I started on a painting that I am going to trade for a new puppy that will eventually be a guard dog for our farm. (Hopefully) We've tried other dogs in the past, but this time we are getting a Great Pyrenees who has started out life thinking she is a goat. We will try to keep her thinking that by bringing home two baby goats to keep her company.
So today I started the goat portrait for the shepherdess who owns them. I like it so far. Plus it puts the brush in my hand. Oh, it's so easy to get distracted while using the computer for reference material. I got into email and other posts and looking at artwork by Picasso today, and more. But my brush did touch the canvas as you can see. Before I started the painting, I did three head studies in my tiny sketchbook. It helped me pick a pose and it also gave me more confidence. When I got lost in the painted version, I could look at the small pencil drawing and say, "Look, you did it once, you can do it again." I think I'll do more sketching just for the advantage of telling the critics in my head to back off.
More to come later on the progress of "Little Man, the goat".

No comments: